Motivation is something that many people tend to struggle with, especially when it comes to starting a business. I’m sure you have heard someone talk about how they need to get motivated. Maybe you have even said it yourself. Why is getting motivated so difficult for people?
We look for motivation from outside sources instead of from within.
That’s right, we fail to draw our motivation from within. The problem with outside sources is that we have no control over them. What kinds of outside sources do I mean?
The weather – yes it happens you can’t go for a walk to exercise because it’s raining or too hot.
Other people – waiting for someone to help you or make you feel motivated.
The economy- the perception that things are bad so we don’t risk starting or expanding a business.
Our finances- feeling like we do not have enough money to do things that we want.
Our higher power- too often people expect God or their higher power to solve their problems, but faith without works is dead.
Our own limiting beliefs also hold us back.
I’m not good enough to do this.
I don’t have the skills or knowledge.
It won’t matter if I try because it won’t work.
Replaying past failures in our mind.
A body at rest stays at rest, a body in motion stays in motion. If we have been slacking or unmotivated it can be hard to ‘get going’ again. But like anything else once we get going, it’s easier to stay going. Overcoming the negative self talk and limiting beliefs can be hard, but if we are aware that it’s happening we can gradually put an end to it.
5 Ways To Stay Motivated
1. Understanding our definiteness of purpose. We need to have a clear understanding of our purpose, otherwise we are restless and discontent. A clear understanding of why you get up each day and do what you do. I cannot answer this for you, only you can answer this, and even if you know you must remind yourself daily.
2. Big picture thinking. When we step back and look at the bigÂ picture, the mess we may be in does not seem as large. Things are never as bad as you may think, but when we are trapped in the moment it’s hard to believe that.
3. Set and complete small written goals. This is huge and most people don’t do it. Most people think they have goals but it’s just an unwritten wish list. The reward center in our brain is activated when we accomplish something, especially a written goal. Â You can read more about goals here.
4. Roll with the punches. Accept the things that you cannot change, worrying about things will drain your mental energy. Holding a grudge against someone is renting them free space in your mind. Dwelling on circumstances that you can’t control will keep you stuck in a rut and contribute to a lack of motivation.
5. Stay focused. I know that sounds simple but it’s true. Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want. What you think about, you bring about. Ever wonder why negative people attract more negativity? It’s the Law of Attraction at work.
The Law of Attraction is not magic or mystical, it’s simple science. It’s activating your brain to notice things that are already there and always have been. Like when you want a certain car, all of the sudden you see it everywhere. Focus on the things you want to happen, most of the things people worry about NEVER HAPPEN!
Too often in life when we are struggling with something, we expect the solution to be complicated and out of reach.
It doesn’t have to be that way. If you are struggling with motivation give these 5 things a try, stick with it no matter what and you will see the difference!